Phase II 2013 – 2015
Extension of the sable Biomass resources
The second phase of BIOREFINERY21 is focused on the production and analysis of lignin for the application in an everyday product.
The partners from industry and science have identified two main elements for the development of an economically and ecologically beneficial biorefinery concept: Preparation of high-quality raw materials for the chemical industry and the efficient utilization of side product streams. The material use of the valuable substance lignin from lignocelluloses represents a useful opportunity to achieve these target:
Analysis and evaluation
A three-step approach is planned for analysis and evaluation of the production of filling materials and additives for bonding agents on the basis of lignin in the context of an integrated biorefinery:
- Concept Development and technical Analysis
- Technical analysis of the lignin production as well as integration into a biorefinery concept in consideration of the experimental results of the optimized hot water hydrolysis with subsequent lignin pyrolysis.
- Up-scaling of the obtained results to industrial scale.
- Development of heat integration and heat supply concepts.
- Cost and profitability Analysis
- Analysis of the developed and optimized biorefinery concepts for the material use of the lignin in bonding agents.
- Comparison of the production costs of the developed bonding agent basis products and fair market values of conventional reference products.
- Identification of the cost reduction potential of the bioethanol production by comparison of the material and the energetic use of the lignin.
- Ecological Analysis
- Analysis of the developed biorefinery concepts by means of ecological criteria under consideration of the whole lifecycle.
- On the basis of mass and energy balances from the technical analysis, ecological effects in the whole lifecycle are investigated and quantified by means of an eco-balance.